Sunday 12 September 2010

7. Simon Boliver & el nino divino Jesus


Fillet steak! Last night, I ate one of the most delicious fillet steaks ever. As a family treat, we went to a restaurant in Arequipa, called, "Chef Parrillero." Ant had a mixed grill, but Roxy, Mellie and I each had "Lomo Fino," which is fillet steak. When it came, there were 2 whole fillets on each plate. Well, of course, we managed to eat them. It's a tough life here.

This morning, there was an early start to collect some of the believers from San Pedro,
before arriving at the church in Simon Bolivar. For a time before the service, folks sit around in the sun before coming in at about 9.50am. Ronnie, Ant and I pray together before the service begins.

Ant leads the service. There are a number of chorus and songs that i recognise, the tunes are the same, but the words in Spanish. "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord," "My Jesus, my Saviour," "Faithful God, so unchanging," "How deep the Father's love for us."

Ronnie preaches very warmly from Matthew 18v1-4, about becoming like little children, or else we cannot enter the kingdom of God. He urged us that humility, holiness and tribulations are all part of the Christian life, if we want to enter the kingdom of God. I did not understand all the words, but got the gist of it.

Afterwards, they asked me up, and i gave some greetings to the church en Espanol! They were very patient,and smiled a lot. There were some amens too. They are glad to have the prayers and support of folks in the UK, and southport especially.

I sat down, and then Ronnie asked me if I could tell the folks how long I have been walking with the Lord, and how that happened. Phew!! I did my best, and was able to tell them about going to university, meeting a Christian, and praying to the Lord, but was fast running out vocabulary! Anthony helped then, by translating a bit which meant I could speak in English.

There were also about 6 new people to the church that morning, so Ronnie asked each of them their name, and the church waved their greetings to them across the room. A wonderful spirit exists between the believers here, and Ant & Ronnie both have a lovely way with them.

We then had our church feast - a local arequipian dish of rice, with potatoes, a medium hot sauce, and stomach (yes, really!) I imagined it was Haggis and ploughed on. It tasted nice, with the sauce, and I did my best. Ronnie and I chatted. Also, one of the new men introduced me to his family and asked if I could teach him English. We began with a few words, like hello etc... thank you. I had to teach him how to sound the "th" sound. (Bite your tongue, etc...) Lots of great people here.

On the way back, we drove past a procession, carrying a little idol of "El nino divino Jesus" (the divine child Jesus). This little idol is on lots of posters etc... it was sad, shocking and pathetic at the same time. People carrying their "god" on their shoulders. Poor chap obviously can't get around without human help. Don't know how he can possibly overcome the massive problems Peru has, or why anyone would want to trust in such a powerless being, still. Only the real Christ can save these people.

Back home... later, Ant and I will try to see Aurelio on hospital. It is likely that he only has days or weeks to live. But he knows Christ as his Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment